Sunday, July 11, 2010

Thing #8 - Wikis

I feel so behind on the times!  I read Westwood School Comp. Science written by Vicki Davis.  Her wiki was very organized which included calendars, schedules, links to resources, and assignments.  Because we have read her blogs I knew she would have an informative wiki.  I don't think there is much I could do to her wiki to improve it.  I also checked out Code Blue.  Although this was a simple wiki, it looked like it was probably a fun project for the students.  It incorporated imaginative personalities and scenarios yet the links to the medical information was thorough.  I did find it difficult to browse through but was to be expected since it was made by younger students.  I may have tried to guide my students a little more with setting it up in order to correct this.  However, there is that fine line of just letting the students do it and allowing the creativity and learning process to take place.  I also browsed the Kindergarten Counting Book.  While I think this is a cute idea I am not sure how effective this really is for the K student.  The pictures, in my opinion, are of low quality and do not represent the reflected number.  Some of the pictures are blurred, some are cut off, and some of the background patterns are distracting.  I think with clearer pictures, maybe a solid background, maybe sound to count with the student could improve this wiki.  I had written in my contract that I would like to make a page for my CTE students.  I think a wiki page could be made by our counseling office for our students.  I can see it having testing information, test prep resources, calendars for registration, credit checks, parent meetings, etc.

1 comment: